So running in this country involves some different rules than in the states so I have observed.
-Generally speaking if you are going to run you run in the park not in the street.
-Women don't wear shorts esp. not short shorts. Men can wear shorts and they can be short shorts.
-Women usually run in groups (could be for safety reasons)
-Running is measured in kilometers not miles. Very confusing for my non-mathematical mind.
-Excerise clothes is only for exercising, not running errands.
So last Sat. I was going for my normal run as I turn to go on the main street that the park is on I see about 80 charter buses. I am thinking is all of Quito going on a trip this weekend. So as I continue to walk up the road I see more buses and masses of people getting off of them (not leaving) walking up the street to "my" park. Included in those masses are policemen. Lots of policemen. So as a foreigner I begin to think there is a riot. Don't walk towards the crowds of people and police, go back home. I don't listen to the precautious foreigner thinking inside of me so I continue walking up to the park. I get to the park and it's covered every inch of grass is covered with people and vendors. So much for running. I still attempt to run my 6 miles but realize that I am getting nowhere as I dodge people so I only do 1/2. As I run I am still trying to piece together what in the world is happening. I see clumps of people with banners and different colored shirts (that represent the group their with). As I read these signs I still have no idea what is going on. So finally I ask someone. And they answer me with a very intellectual Spanish answer. So I walk away still having no idea what is happening. After circling the whole park and hearing people screaming at each other I realized this was a political rally. Unlike the states where only one group meets in one place to keep peace here everyone is together and the different stages are fenced off for safety. I decided to cut my run short in fear that this would become a riot. There were 100's of charter buses with thousands of people getting off: people of all socio-economic, ethnic background and age. It was truly amazing to witness this though I had no idea what was really going on.
Monday, August 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment