Thursday, February 28, 2008

Things I learned from running in the Cowtown Marathon



These are very important!
-potty b/4 you start your run (very important)
-don't ever run in Ft. Worth w your hair down. you know how models have that sexy windy hair look- that is not what it looks like.
- don't call your husband for encouragement. Ben's words "hurry up woman I am hungry"
-you know how they have water stops for the runners and you see all these runners drinking as they sprint off. Don't try that unless you practiced. I almost choked.
-you don't have to be skinny to run a marathon
-20 min after the race when your over the excitement of your accomplishments your body will go into shock. Seriously, your muscles will cramp up and you just can't move, every step hurts from your toes up to your bangs. Don't worry I was able to walk after 2 days. (just kidding after a couple of hours the pain subsided)

The day of the race was quite exhilirating. We are all squished like sardines at the starting line waiting with great anticipation to inflict excrutiating pain to our bodies by running 13, 26, and some 35 miles. At about 8 miles the halfies and the marathon runners come to a split and let me tell you I was very happy to call myself a halfie then. Knowing that I only had 5.1 miles to go. I finished in 2.22 hours. It was about 11 min miles. I was impressed with myself and thankful to God I finished w/o "walking". Ben and the kids and some of our friends were waiting for me in different spots to cheer me on. Ben joined me for the last 2 miles.
Would I do another halfie? Maybe Would I run a Marathon? Absolutely, not.
You like my lucky socks? These socks made me quite popular. Everyone either stared, laughed or thought I was waaaaay cool!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mari,
That's awesome! Loved your words of wisdom and your take on the whole running thing. Is there a link to your running photos from the race?

I did run this weekend. It went really well... did it exactly as I wanted to. Under 1 hour (59:01) and a 9:30/mile average. I felt great when it was over! Trying to pick out my next goal now. A faster 5k, another 10k or go for the half marathon. Right now I'm leaning towards the 5k. There's one here in June.

Congrats!