In college I was one of those girls who had lots of guy friends and was happy with that. I was really fine being single. It took 2yrs before my heart starting pounding and my tummy got butterflies at the thought of him sitting near me. For Ben it was totally different it was love at first sight. He got dizzy the first time he saw me and there was an inner voice telling him "she's the one".
Our friendship all changed one beautiful Fall evening when he took me out on the river in his kayak. (at this point were just friends) So this was no big deal were just two friends hanging out. Ben had this nervous, weird look and a couple of times he began to tell me something and then he would stop. Well finally he said in his nervous voice. "Mari I wanted to know if we could date?" I was shocked! I was silent! I was silent for a long time. I couldn't believe it and then I said "Ben, I don't know I really need to think about this." So 2 months later I realized that I did like him so I said "Okay".
His perseverance, strength, faith and patience for 2yrs as he waited patiently for me to come around really got me. He didn't rush and try to conquer me he just waited and was himself until I realized that he was exactly what I wanted and what I needed. Unfortunately, for him I wasn't an easy catch. Once we began dating I pretty much broke up with him every month(I had issues). Each time he gently and rationally helped me see that I was acting on my fears. This really helped our marriage because we had already gone through so much communicating and talking through things.
Well two years later we both agreed that we needed to break up and think about whether this was going to work. So we took a hiatus and prayed and sought the Lord for guidance. A month later he picked me up at the airport. Were still broken up and have spoken to each other in a month. I am nervously looking for him in the airport. I finally spotted him and we began to walk towards each other. The butterflies begin and the heart is racing. We finally get close enough to talk. I said "hi" and he doesn't say anything he bends down and kisses me. I thought wow! that was brave as far as he knew the Lord could of been telling me to end it. Well the Lord did the exact opposite. In my prayer and fasting time he shared with me that I was not alone in this, that He would be my strength, that I just needed to trust Him. And the end of my prayer time I was shouting "I LOVE BEN! Eureka! He is the one! Ben's time with the Lord was similar but different. So we both knew and it was confirmed by the Lord! Two months later we were engaged (which I actually thought he was breaking up with me when he took me out by the lake to propose because he looked so serious and worried)and two months later we were married.
Now 5 years later we are blessed. My heart is amazed at how the Lord prepared us for each other. He was preparing Ben for me and me for Ben years before I even knew him. He is everything I wanted in a guy from character to the physical aspect! Ben was my first boyfriend and the last! This is our story in brief.
Thursday, May 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
How sweet! I now love you two together even more!!! God is so great!
Ahhh, thanks. I love our story as I am sure many couples do. I love it so much because it is sooo Gods grace.
Post a Comment