Friday, February 8, 2008

I just remembered that I failed my Missions course

As many of you may know we are pursuing to go overseas this fall as missionary teachers. I had to send a transcript to one of the schools and as I looked over my transcripts with much embarrasement I realized that I failed my Intro. to Missions course in Grad school. When I applied to this grad school little did I know that it was well known for being a missions school. During this time I developed a rebellious spirit against missions feeling like missions was being shoved down my throat(it wasn't but I felt like that). Well, because it's known for missions, of course, their Missions class is mandatory. So I thought the last thing I need is to sit in class for an hour and have a professor make me feel guilty every week. So I decided to take it through correspondence, that way I could do it at my own pace, while I was doing things around the house, jogging etc... Well, to make a long story short I was unable to finish the course in time and I failed it. Here's God sense of humor he used this class tremendously to change my heart towards missions. Instead of being able to get my chores done as I listened to the tapes I found myself listenting intently, remembering things from the tape at random times. During this time I was also studying the book of Mark in my quiet time. That book was loaded with messages of God calling me to take up my cross and follow Him without my own stipulations. So that summer I decided that I needed to go on a missions trip overseas. I was going to be open, not really to be a missionary but just to open my mind to missions. So on my first missions trip I went to do Hurricane Relief work in Honduras after Hurricane Mitch. So here I am going on my first missions trip to a country that has just been completely devasted by a hurricane. The conditions: no electricity, hammock for a bed, extreme hot temp., unfinished cinderblock house without windows, beans and rice everyday, scorpions galore and so much more you can't imagine. My heart condition: softening, opening, wanting to know more, a love for the people, a love for the lost.... To my surprise I left there a changed woman.

So years later, here we are the Tutens seeking the Lord's guidance as we pursue to go overseas as missionaries. We filled out a profile in November 2006 with a missionary match up website. To our suprise we had lots of matches because of our education background. This was all happening right around the time of Aidens birth. Because of all the changes and life adjustments we put this endeavor to the side. In Novemeber 2007 we began talking and praying about it again. In January, Ben ran with it and we decided to pursue going overseas this fall.

Most recently we have applied to 7 Christian schools(raise partial support) and 2 American schools(raise no support) in Latin America (Mexico, Ecuador, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Bolivia, Argentina and Guatemala). We have interviewed with 4 schools(still waiting to interview w/ the others) and now were waiting to see if any are interested and offer Ben a position. We are open to leave this fall we will see if the Lord allows us to go.

Please, we covet your prayers. Pray that we would have discerment and wisdom as we choose a school, pray for all the details that will come with that: selling our home(as of now we are moving forward with that decision), moving, traveling, settling, raising support, saying goodbye... That God would prepare our hearts, our hands for the ministry that He has for us. Also, pray that we would overcome all the obstacles the enemy will put in our paths to thwart His plans. I am sure many are to come and will be disguised in so many ways.

By the way I did take that Missions course again and there happen to be a curly, tall, handsome guy sitting in front of me whom I got to know really well.(grin) I did pass the course this time!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweet story!!!

Tuten Family addition... said...

funny how God works things out huh!

Drew said...

Go get em la tigra!

Anonymous said...

I'll pray for your family. God Bless you as He makes your dreams a reality! I love that picture of all of you above... Chris H.