Friday, November 30, 2007

Searching for the perfect tree...


I have been waiting for this day for a month now. I was ready to put up a Christmas tree since the beginning of November. To my husbands relief no one would sell me a Christmas Tree before the day after Thanksgiving(believe me I tried to get one). Well the day had come it was Friday the day after Thanksgiving. I had come up with a perfect Christmas tree checklist that it had to meet before it entered our home and that was: big, beautiful, full, green, perfectly shaped, no more than $50, no less than 6ft etc... So we did our homework on Christmas farms the day before and found the perfect farm that may have our perfect tree.
I awake with much anticipation ready to begin our traditional holiday festivities: The Cutting of the Perfect Tree. So off our whole family(grandparents, brother, sister, in law, kids etc..) goes in search of the perfect Christmas tree. We get there and are swept away by the happy, cheery farmers and the expensive quote for our perfect Christmas tree. As we ride down to the field I look up to the heavens and wait to see if there is a light shining from above illuminating The Tree. But there was nothing but clouds to be seen. So I knew then this was going to take a bit longer than I imagined. We stood in the middle of at least 100 trees that didn't quite look like they would meet our standards for the perfect tree. I began to get discouraged. Thinking to myself we brought my whole family down to get this tree and now they are way over priced and they are slim pickings in this field. I thought there is no way we can leave this farm without a tree what a huge let down it would be for the whole family and these people are so nice I would hate to say "thanks but no thanks." So we spread through out the field and I was soon being beckoned by every family member including my 3yr old to come see the perfect tree that they found. Well, finally Ben says "Mari I think the light is shining on this one." I look at it but see no light. It was okay but I still wasn't sold on it. So the farmer took us to one more place to look at trees. A few minutes later I was back and now I saw the light shining on that tree so we gathered around it and sang Oh, Christmas Tree, Oh, Christmas Tree how faithful are your branches just kidding, we didn't do that. Do you see the angels gathered around it?(grin)
Ben had the honor of cutting the Tutens 2007 Perfect Christmas tree. We went to get it measured and it was "8 ft. They sell these very expensive tree by the foot. So we were looking at quite a bit of money for this tree. Well, to help us forget how much we were paying and get us into the Christmas spirit the farm has a quaint little store with ornaments and hot apple cider to die for. Soon our bodies were warm and we were back in the spirit and forgot that we spent that much money. So off we went with our not so perfect Christmas tree, our much excited 3yr old, our homemade apple cider, our empty pockets and the spirit of Holiday cheer! That's the price you pay for tradition.
Here's our Christmas tree nicely lit in our living room. Just kidding.
Actually our Christmas tree is above it's meticulously and wonderfully decorated in blue/silver with red accents. I like themed tree's but Ben is much more into smorgasbord tree's but that's another blog

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE IT!!! Especially the singing part! Its fun to read your blog entries!!! Enjoy your beautiful tree! I think it looks GREAT!

Tuten Family addition... said...

Our "perfect tree" is actually dying. It started dying after 10days of bringing it home. We were watering it regularly and noticed that it was turning brown from the inside. Pretty sad.