Thursday, November 1, 2007

A Mothers Battle. Frustration, Confusion and alas, Freedom in His Grace!

For years I'd been waking up in the middle of the night wondering why the Lord had given me so much vision, so much conviction for the lost but so little time, resources and energy. I'd wake up restless because my mind would not let the ideas go. This all left me feeling frustrated, confused wondering why the Lord would do this. Why would he give me this when he knew I couldn't do anything with it?

I felt like our world revolved around us, our family, our friends and our church. These are all great things but there was something missing. At that time I was pregnant so I knew very well and He knew even better that there was no way I would have the time or energy to add anything else to my day. When I would share these frustrations with girlfriends they came to my rescue and explained that this was my ministry-my family and this is just how it is. I didn't agree with "this is just how it is" but I agreed wholeheartedly with my family being my ministry and I wouldn't exchange it for anything in the world. But still the Lord continued to prod, gently prodding. As he so often does.

Well this past summer He spoke and answered my questions. The Lord opened the eyes of my heart to see all these frustrations, convictions, passion and ministry in a new way through this statement I read in my devotions "God's glory discovers us where we are." God can use me right where I am at He doesn't need to change my circumstances. So I began to meditate on this statement on how God used Moses right where he was at in the field as a shepherd. He showed me that I needed to yield, to surrender my ideas, my passion and my conviction unto Him. And only until then would I be able to cherish each moment with my children, my family and also seize the day for His glory! He said "Mari, yes I have given you a heart to serve, a heart for the lost, a mind full of ideas but you were looking at all of this through your lenses not mine, that's why you end up frustrated and confused."

"I gave you Ben and made you a wife. I gave you Ethan and Aiden and made you a mother. I gave you Jesus and made you my child. I gave you a heart for the poor, the lost. I give you the vision. Rejoice my child in all of this and use it to glorify me each day! You don't need to start a homeless shelter to help the poor all you need is to open your eyes and your heart when your out shopping. You don't need to go to Mexico to reach the lost just open your eyes when your out at the zoo or the park with your children. You don't need to be involved in everything at church so your children can see Jesus. Just treat the homeless man on the street like a person and offer him a meal. Mari, I want you to cherish each moment in your childrens lives but I also want you to know that you can seize the day to be Jesus, to help them see Jesus, and to allow Jesus to work through them."

It's so easy to become complacent, to get used to our routine, our litte life in our little world and that is exactly what we had done.
Wow! Tears rolled, snot flowed and my hearts burden was free when I heard these words. I realized that my children are my disciples. True discipleship is only effective if I am in the Word, fellowshipping with believers, serving others, reaching out to the lost but they go hand in hand. If I isolate one of them than my children only see a part of Jesus, the don't see all of Jesus. The hard fact is that this doesn't just happen in ones family, it doesn't just fall into place, you have to be intentional about it.
From these frustrations, confusion and God's grace was born: Mommy and Me Missions. www.mommyandmemissions.com

5 comments:

Unknown said...

How was the Mommy and Me mission? My little guys were messes but I really wanted to be there! Give us bloggers details, kay!!!

Anonymous said...

Mari, thank you for sharing your heart. You are such an encouragement to me in my similar walk of life. Thanks sister! We love you very much!

Liza said...

Hey Mari,
I'm glad to hear your outreach went well. You know I can't really identify with what you wrote as far as being a mommy goes, but I do understand that feeling that there is so much you want to do, or are inspired to do and you're just not there yet. I feel that way about my job right now. I really love it and I see where I want to be in the future, but I have to go through this in order to get there. But God was showing me this morning on the way to work how this is what it's all about--this day. And that I need to make the most of what I'm doing now, and he'll take care of the future.
Anyway, just a little of my thoughts.
Love ya.
Liza

Tuten Family addition... said...

Thanks anonymous for your encouragement! I am glad you know your not alone. mari

Tuten Family addition... said...

Thanks Liza for your insight. It's so true to carpe diem. I always remind Ben that he has such a huge ministry everyday in his classroom. Sometimes school is the only safe haven for kids, so sad.
Anyways, I am sure your bubbly spirit touches many lives everyday in your classroom and with the staff. take care.